A Little Bit of Chile

Hi FAU Bloggers,

As you might have guessed by now, I'm what's known in good Chilean as "pati-peri." However, aside from having been lucky enough to visit some amazing countries in my long life, I have also visited some amazing places in Chile. I travelled Chile from Arica to Aysen so I still have a third of the teritory left to discover. Today I'm going to write about a place in Chile I really enjoyed visiting and that I'd like to visit again: Malalcahuello. 

I visited Malalcahuello in 2007 when one of my sisters was visiting from the UK. My sister arrive towards the end of February.  A few days after she arrived, and along with my wife, we decided to embark on a spontaneous road trip south. We packed up a tent and all our camping gear and headed South. We spent a night in Chanco, a couple of nights in Cobquecura and a night in Curacautin before arriving in Malalcuhuello. By this time my wife was tired of driving and wanted a holiday so we decided to stay a few days. We were actually really lucky as we found a really amazing, newly-built cabin half way up the mountain to the Navidad crater on Lonquimay Volcano. We were the first tenants so they gave us a special price for 3 nights. We had an amazing time. On the first day we got up early and walked up to the crater and around a long ridge on the other side. It was a very bright and sunny day so we got back to the cabin by midday. There is some really beautiful countryside in the region. My sister loves horses so we spent  our second day horse riding in the very northern tip of the Conguillio National Park. They was another memorable experience because you really go into the wild. The fact that the horse was doing all the work allowed me the chance to fully engage with the environment which was really stunning. The trip up the volcano had been hot and dusty, the horse riding excursion was obviously less strenuous, often riding through shady areas of forest. The most amazing think was the sound of nature, totally free of acoustic polution. We spent the last day at Malacahuello Thermal Spa which was another fun day. I'm not a big fan of spas but it was nice to relax and float after two fairly active days walking and riding.


My sister Fran on Crater Navidad.

Write about a place in Chile that you would like to visit again.

Say:

Where it is,

When you went there,

How you got there,

Who you went with,

What you did there,

Why you enjoyed this experience.

Mention anything else you think is important. 

Write at least 200 words. Leave a comment on my blog and on the blogs of at least 3 classmates.

Comments

  1. Thats amazing!! What was the last place you visited here in Chile?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Algarrobo y Agua de Ramon Park (both in the same weekend)

      Delete
  2. That sounds like a beautiful place! Have you ever been to lake Licanray?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice, that you get to visit so many beautiful places

    ReplyDelete
  4. NP Conguillio is one of the most beautiful national parks here in Chile, what a good experience!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What and incredible trip, the south is beautiful, I really like the Conguillio National Park with its Araucaia forests and the amazing Llaima volcano

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The volcanos in Chile are very impressive

      Delete
  6. Woow, that sounds amazing! It sounds like a great trip. In about 3 weeks (Supposedly), I will be going with a class to Conguillio Natinal Park. What would you recomemend doing? And what should I avoid?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A day horse riding if you can afford it. It is a unique way to travel in a big national park. Avoid setting fire to the park!!!

      Delete
  7. Malalcahuello looks like a good place to visit soon :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I´m sure you would enjoy it if you like peace, quiet and nature.

      Delete
  8. It sounds very enterteaining and interesting the horseback ride that they gave!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, luckily the horses were very calm. I´m not a good rider:)

      Delete
  9. Good question. I can't think of anywhere, Normally it would only be if there were too many people.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The south of Chile is the best place to explore the wild life in our country. Have you taken your sister Fran to other places in Chile?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

A Job