A Festival, Exhibition, concert or Show You Saw

I have been lucky enough to attend some AMAZING festivals, exhibitions & shows during my lifetime (remember I am very ancient). As a teenager I hitched-hiked from my home town of Chester to London to see the biggest ever exhibition of Salvador Dali. In 1979 I went to FUTURAMA - the world's first Science Fiction Music Festival and saw bands like Joy Division, Orchestral Manoeuvres in The Dark (OMD) and  PIL amongst others. I have been to the Notting Hill Festival countless times & the Fallas de Valencia 4 or 5 times. S.U.E, Lollapalooza, Primavera Fauna..... a long list.

Today I'm going to write about an exhibition I saw out of pure luck but is a cultural highlight for me. In 2017, I found 2 cheap-last minute flights to Japan on the, now defunct, LAN Last Minute Offers webpage.  It was the country my wife and I had always wanted to visit. I bought the tickets without hesitation. 2 weeks at the beginning of February. Two days after buying the flight tickets I saw an advert announcing that the Victoria & Albert Museum's touring show of David Bowie was heading to Tokyo at the same time we would be there. As a life-long Bowie fan I was in ecstasy and bought tickets for our first full-day in Japan.



The exhibition was in a very trendy, newly built area of the city which I think is constructed on either man-made islands or reclaimed land. The show was amazing. It told the story of Bowie's life and rise to fame with many wonderful relics that were on display for the first time. We spent 3 or 4 hours in the exhibition. It wasn't too busy when we arrived but about an hour later it began to get more crowded.. 


What I liked about the exhibition is the fact that Bowie had allowed the museum full access to all his costumes and archives of photographs and recordings, both audio & video. There was so much unseen or unheard material that fans had access to for the very first time. The museum also did an excellent job to portrayal Bowie's genius and appeal. The exhibition had obviously been created by someone who was extremely familiar with Bowie and his work and how he had become a cultural icon.

Visiting Japan was an truely spiritual experience. Being able to experience the Bowie exhibition increased that sensation:)

Write about a festival, exhibition, concert or show you saw.

Say:

What it was,

When you went,

Who you went with,

What you enjoyed about it and why.

Mention anything else you think is important or interesting. Try to write at least 200 words. Leave a comment on your teacher's blog and on the blogs of 3 classmates.

Comments

  1. How wonderful, seeing things from our favorite artists leaces a warmth in the soul

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cool! Maybe next time you can tell us about that Joy Division concert!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool!! That exhibition sound interesting, i hope that one day they come to Chile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it´s more likely that they will open a David Bowie museum:)

      Delete
  4. David Bowie was as icon in English-speking music, he is very great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like Bowie's iconic song with Queen, Under Pressure

    ReplyDelete
  6. going to a concert is a good travel idea :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds really emotional due the recent passing of the artist

    ReplyDelete
  8. It´s great that you have met great bands from those decades, like Joy Division

    ReplyDelete
  9. how lucky you were to see david bowie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

A Job

A Little Bit of Chile